[Sca-cooks] Re: "Halal" and "Kosher"

Lyn butterflye at runbox.com
Thu Apr 10 09:38:44 PDT 2003

Halal does not prohibit the
> consumption of meat and dairy at the same meal, for example, although it
> does prohibit alcohol.  Can anyone on the list take the comparisons further?
>   Are shellfish prohibited under halal, for example?  Certain body parts
> (Ras' proclivities notwithstanding)?

I practiced Islam and its dietary laws for 7 years, so I can tell you this much:

- No shellfish
- The killing of the animal is extremely important; to be truly halal, it must be a clean cut to the throat, preferably by an imam or with one present.
- No blood allowed, ever. All meats must be roasted until entirely done (nothing even a little rare would be served.)
- While this wouldn't apply to period cookery, watch for hidden pork products in things -- no gelatin, no gum with softeners, no lard (never ate a Twinkie for 7 years because of this.)
- When eating with fingers (as is customary among Bedouins) eat ONLY with the right hand, and wash between courses. (Often a samovar of rosewater or a handwashing bowl would be provided for this.)
- It is ok to stuff a lamb or goat's stomach with rice/meat mixtures, but it is never ok to cook intestines of any animal in any way.
- I don't know that they are specifically forbidden, but I got a lot of weird looks when I said I liked heart. I think it goes back to the blood thing.

~~ Lorète du Papillon