[Sca-cooks] Italian Renaissance Dining and Manners

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sun Apr 13 10:17:41 PDT 2003

The Italian Renaissance usually considered to be from the 14th through the
16th Centuries.  The end point is often stated as 1600.  The beginning is
arguable, depending on whether one considers Dante and Giotto as as Medieval
or Renaissance.  Common practice often places the beginning of the
Renaissance at 1350 in association with Petrarch.

I am curious as to why the term "Quattrocento" (four hundred) is  used to
refer to the Fourteen Hundreds when that is actually "Quattordicicento" in
Italian.  If anyone knows the answer, I'd love to hear it.

Bear

Yes, I had thought 1300s and 1400s (as opposed to 13th century and 14th
century). My understanding is that would put it squarely in the midst of the
Italian renaissance, as the renaissance arrived in Italy well before it
arrived in England.

Wouldn't the 1500s/1600s be post-renaissance in Italy?

Respectfully,
David Tallan