[Sca-cooks] Potatos in Ireland

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sun Apr 13 19:40:32 PDT 2003

Thomas Gloning has provided linguistic information that suggests Rumpolt's
Erdapfel is a squash rather than a potato.  There is a late 16th Century
letter between two German rulers containing a recipe for preparing potatoes.
And I don't think any of us have been able to prove or disprove Aresty's
assertion that there is a potato recipe in Weckerin.

In any event, potato recipes first appear in the last decade of the 16th
Century and very rarely.

Bear