[Sca-cooks] Key Lime Pie (OT) and late...

Sharron Albert morgana at gci.net
Mon Apr 14 00:24:35 PDT 2003

I know, I'm chiming in late, but my folks used to live in Key West (bought
their house in the early 50s, and retired there in the mid-60s, and only
left a couple years ago). My father had several key lime trees in his
backyard.

Adamantius said:

>>I do know that Key Limes taste different than regular limes. The ever
>>famous and fabulous Berkeley Bowl had some Key Limes last time i was
>>in there. They were smaller than a regular lime and the skin was a
>>bit less intensely colored...

I remember them as being smaller, lighter green, and tart but not bitter.
Mom liked them in her Cuba Libras, and made an excellent Key Lime Pie,
which -- judging from your discussions -- had the custard filling to which
she would add a meringue topping.

I used to get extremely annoyed at people who tried to tell me those
*expletive deleted* frozen green pies were Key Lime Pies. To begin with,
the skins on a Key Lime may be greenish, but the juice was definitely
yellow...

>Key Limes are also the key... ummm... primary ingredient in the
>verjuice-substitute known in the Keys as Old Sour, a semi-fermented,
>slightly salted, preserved lime juice product.

Oh, I never would have made that connection. Thanks for the tip, Adamantius.

Morgana

Morgana yr Oerfa, OP
Baroness Winter's Gate/Oertha/West
Per saltire gules and sable, in pale two mullets and
in fess an increscent	 and a decrescent argent.