[Sca-cooks] Tomato References

Darren Gasser kaos at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 14 10:50:16 PDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Cera Chonaill" <cera_chonaill at hotmail.com>
To: <sca-cooks at ansteorra.org>
Sent: Sunday, April 13, 2003 2:36 PM
Subject: [Sca-cooks] Tomato References

> From my limited reading Tomatos where brought to Europe in the 16th
century.
> Question is what are the earliest references to Tomatos being used in
> receipes. When did they become such a common item for the Mediterranean
> dishes?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Cera

Tannahill's "Food In History" covers the spread of tomatoes throughout
Europe quite well.  I'm on the road this week and don't have access to my
copy otherwise I'd post the details.  IIRC, some of the more temperate lands
like France were the first to grow and use tomatoes in Europe.  They didn't
spread south into the Mediterranean areas until well after Period.

-Lorenz