[Sca-cooks] TRYING TO FIGURE OUT A BROTH

James Prescott prescotj at telusplanet.net
Wed Apr 16 09:01:16 PDT 2003

At 11:45 -0400 2003-04-16, Heleen Greenwald wrote:

> I once had a Vietnamese noodle soup called, I believe, *Pho*. The clear broth was very delicate and a touch sweet. I have been trying to figure out what was in that broth so that I can duplicate it.  Could it possibly have been a lobster broth?  Any ideas?

Without wishing to claim that every Pho is beef based, the recipe
that I have here is.

For the broth:

6 lb beef rib bones
1 lb gravy beef
2 onions sliced
thumb-sized piece of ginger
stick of cinnamon
teaspoon black peppercorns
salt

Put meat in very large pan, add cold water to cover, sliced
onions, scraped and sliced ginger, cinnamon stick, whole
peppercorns.  Bring to boil, turn heat very low, cover and
simmer at least 6 hours. Salt to taste.

Source: Solomon, Charmaine.  The Complete Asian Cookbook.
New York: McGraw-Hill, 1976.

Thorvald