[Sca-cooks] 'Tay!, Sah-tay!

Darren Gasser kaos at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 16 12:23:15 PDT 2003

Thanks much!  This is the best overview of sate/satay I've yet seen.  My
versions (which I will try and remember to post tonight now that I'm back
home) are all Javanese, so these provide a much better variety of what is
actually available throughout the islands.

Yes, kemiri are also known as candlenuts or buah keras.   Almonds also make
a good substitute if your local Asian market doesn't carry them and you
don't want to spend the money on macadamias.  This is another ingredient to
be careful with, since the raw nuts are fairly toxic and must be cooked
completely to be safe.

Also, the shrimp paste used in Indonesia is trassi, which is somewhat
different from the more common (in this area anyway) kapi paste used in Thai
cooking.  If you do use trassi, be sure and open it in a well-ventilated
area as it's extremely pungent, but mellows out quite a bit when cooked.

-Lorenz