[Sca-cooks] 'Tay!, Sah-tay!

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 16 16:08:56 PDT 2003

OK, i read my message over and over and i still made typos and omissions:

>I left out the fish sate recipes, since i'm not
>sure what the equivalents are here in the States. If i search the
>'Net i might find some comparisons.

I've found a few already, so if anyone want fresh fish or chopped
fish ball (actually sounded rather good) sate, i have some recipes...

>3. Sate Bumbu Kacang - Peanut Seasoning Sate
>
>1 kilo goat meat
>100 grams goat gajih

Oops, sorry for not translating. Gajih is the natural fat on an
animal. So you want nice meat without connective tissue and some
additional fat interspersed among the pieces on the skewers. Since
American meat animals tend to have a period of sloth and gluttony
before slaughter, they are usually more tender and the fat is more
"marbled", so you probably don't need to add extra animal fat bits.

>4 fresh papaya leaves to wrap the meat so that the meat becomes tender

There were no more directions about this part of the preparation. But
i assume the meat is cut up into bite size chunks, then wrapped in
the papaya leaves and left for sometime - papaya leaves naturally
contain an enzyme that helps "digest" protein, so it's used as a meat
tenderizer.

I assume that some time after this, the meat is put on skewers and
grilled over a low charcoal fire, as usual.

>Resep Masakan Lezat
>Tasty Cooking Recipes
>no author
>
>Sate Ayam - Chicken Sate

SNIP

>Chicken cleaned, next take meat cut as big as about half a finger
>joint, then skewered with sate skewers, then grilled half cooked. As
>soom as that, them put in stuff that was sauteed before and cook more

Oops, lots of typos! Should be:

As soon as that, then put in stuff that was sauteed before...

>Sate Padang
>
>Materials: 1 kilo of organ meat, which consists of intestines,
>giblets, jantan, babat, dan hati,

Oops, i made a few errors here:
the Indonesian is actually "jantung, usus, dan babat"
That translates to: heart, intestines, and tripe

Yeah, i had gulai kambing in Sumatra - parts is parts, and they were
all there, chopped up small and floating in the yellow soup, and you
didn't know what you'd speared until you tried to chew it...

Finally, do people need directions for making coconut milk and tamarind water?

Anahita