[Sca-cooks] sate and papaya

Maggie MacDonald maggie5 at cox.net
Wed Apr 16 17:23:47 PDT 2003

At 04:08 PM 4/16/2003,lilinah at earthlink.net said something like:

>>4 fresh papaya leaves to wrap the meat so that the meat becomes tender
>
>There were no more directions about this part of the preparation. But
>i assume the meat is cut up into bite size chunks, then wrapped in
>the papaya leaves and left for sometime - papaya leaves naturally
>contain an enzyme that helps "digest" protein, so it's used as a meat
>tenderizer.
>
>I assume that some time after this, the meat is put on skewers and
>grilled over a low charcoal fire, as usual.

I discovered the very hard way once that you don't leave meat sitting with
fresh papaya or fresh pineapple for more than a few minutes. It tenderizes
things beautifully. If left more than a few hours, it turns your raw meat
into a beautiful babyfood consistency, which then proceeds to drip
beautifully right through your grill onto the coals.

Enjoy,
Maggie MacD.