[Sca-cooks] TRYING TO FIGURE OUT A BROTH

Patrick McKinnion patgund at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 17 16:52:31 PDT 2003

On 4/16/03 8:45 AM, "Heleen Greenwald" <heleen at ptdprolog.net> wrote:

> I once had a Vietnamese noodle soup called, I believe, *Pho*. The clear broth
> was very delicate and a touch sweet. I have been trying to figure out what was
> in that broth so that I can duplicate it.  Could it possibly have been a
> lobster broth?  Any ideas?
> Thanks!

    Rather fond of Pho Ga, which is the chicken variety of Pho, (as opposed
to beef, or Pho Bo).

    The recipies I've found for the broth are roughly the same for bo or ga,
which is a mix of beef or chicken broth and bones with onion sauted in
peanut oil, ginger, carrots, cinnamon, cardamon, star anise, cloves, garlic,
and peppercorns.     You also add Nuoc mam, which is Vietnamese fish sauce.

    One varient of Pho Ga and Pho Bo has you stewing chicken and pig, (or
beef and pig) bones together for the broth.

    - Padraig o Connell

--
"Bother," said Pooh, "Eeyore, ready two photon torpedoes and lock phasers on
the Heffalump, Piglet, meet me in transporter room three.  Christopher