[Sca-cooks] TRYING TO FIGURE OUT A BROTH

Darren Gasser kaos at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 17 17:22:41 PDT 2003

Patrick McKinnion wrote:
> On 4/16/03 8:45 AM, "Heleen Greenwald" <heleen at ptdprolog.net> wrote:
>
>> I once had a Vietnamese noodle soup called, I believe, *Pho*. The
>> clear broth was very delicate and a touch sweet. I have been trying
>> to figure out what was in that broth so that I can duplicate it.
>> Could it possibly have been a lobster broth?  Any ideas?
>> Thanks!
>
>     Rather fond of Pho Ga, which is the chicken variety of Pho, (as
> opposed
> to beef, or Pho Bo).

Mmm.  Haven't had that.  Do you have a recipe for Pho Ga?  I love Pho, but
we tend to do much more poultry than beef at home and I don't do much
Vietnamese as a result.

Since I already had my Asian stuff out today for satay, here's one recipe
for Pho Bo:

For stock:
1 inch piece fresh ginger with skin
1 large onion, whole with skin
12 c water
2 lbs beef soup bones
12 oz stewing beef (brisket, etc.)
Salt
3 star anise
1 stick Saigon cinnamon

For soup:
1 c bean sprouts, washed and drained
8 oz flat rice noodles
8 oz thin-sliced lean beef (strip steak, London broil, milanesa, etc.)
1 medium onion, sliced thin
1/4 c baby leek, julienned
1/2 c ngo gai leaves, chopped (double up on cilantro if you can't find ngo
gai)
1/2 c cilantro, chopped
srachicha (rooster, red chili) sauce, nuoc tuong (yellow bean) sauce,
chopped Thai chiles, lime wedges, mint leaves, and/or cilantro as garnish

Make stock:  Grill onion and ginger over open flame until skins are charred.
In stock pot, combine water, bones, and beef and bring to a boil.
Frequently skim frothy residue from top of pot.  When beef stops frothing,
add pinch of salt, ginger, onion, star anise, and cinnamon.  Cook for 45
minutes, then remove beef, slice it thinly, and strain the stock.  Reseason
stock with salt and pepper.

For soup:  Blanch noodles and bean sprouts in boiling water until just
barely soft.  Arrange noodles and sprouts in soup bowls along with cooked
beef from the stock, onion, leek, ngo gai, and cilantro.  Pour boiling stock
into soup bowls over other ingredients, and reseason to taste.  Serve with
variety of garnishes.