[Sca-cooks] YKYITSCAW...

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Fri Apr 18 11:09:51 PDT 2003

Also sprach Decker, Terry D.:
>While I would agree that Michelangelo Buonarroti probably did not eat
>Neapolitan pizza and I would suggest a 1528 date (Cortez's return to Spain)
>for the introduction of the tomato into Europe, Michelangelo lived until
>1564.  It is possible he did eat tomatoes.  It's just that there is no
>evidence to prove or refute the claim.
>
>Bear

It's also possible, and in fact fairly likely, I suspect, that he ate
something called pizza that did not contain tomatoes. I was reading
only the other day a book (whose title I forget and would have to dig
for) about changes in immigrant Italian, Irish, Jewish, and other
foodways once the cultures entered America. Somewhere in there is a
quote from someone (possibly a Sicilian immigrant -- my memory could
be faulty on this, but while it may be inaccurate, it usually doesn't
make up stuff out of whole cloth), to the effect that the pizza in
America is weird: they put tomatoes and cheese on it, instead of
olive oil and onions like any right-thinking person. This would have
been post-1880 C.E., and the idea being that, for example, a Sicilian
would be more likely to encounter Roman or Neapolitan food in America
than if he had stayed in Italy.

P.S: "Hungering for America" by Hasia R. Diner (good name, huh?)

Adamantius