[Sca-cooks] chestnuts

David Tallan DTALLAN8500 at rogers.com
Fri Apr 18 15:03:27 PDT 2003

One possibility is the Viandier's "Soutil brouet d'Angleterre" (Subtle
English Browet):

Grind together chestnuts that have been cooked and peeled, egg yolks cooked
in wine, and a little pork liver, moisten this with a little warm water, and
strain it; grind ginger, [cinnamon,] cloves, [long pepper, grains of
paradise, galingale, spikenard,] and saffron for colour, and boil everything
together.
(Scully translation no. 24, [] indicates material not in Vatican manuscript,
but in one or more of the others).

There are a number of other version of this recipe,

The Menagier de Paris has it (p. M-20 in the Hinson translation).
The Vivendier has it (recipe 23, p. 50 in the Scully translation).
Trait de Cuisine has it (p. T-2 in the Hinson translation)

I'm not sure who all has redacted it. I know that Anne Willan has in:
Willan, Anne. Great Cooks And Their Recipes From Taillevent to Escoffier.
(Little Brown and Company) 1992.

I hope that this helps,
David Tallan (Thomas)