[Sca-cooks] Hot Peppers

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Mon Apr 21 11:16:22 PDT 2003

> Yep, that's it - when I first used this recipe, I think I had another
> similar recipe that did include both garlic and ginger, and was kind of
> combining the two... not the greatest of documentation, I know, but it did
> taste good...
>> It's this one then   number 108 Black Sauce
>> Black Poivre. Crush ginger and charred bread and peppers, moisten
>> with vinegar and verjuice and boil.  This one is  from Scully's
>>Viandier.

Well, except the other one might have been:

Sauce alapeuere. Take fayre broun brede, toste hit, and stepe it in
vinegre, and drawe it (th)urwe a straynour; and put (th)er-to garleke smal
y-stampyd, poudre piper, salt, & serue forth.
from Ashmole MS. 1439

In which case, I think it's not unreasonable to combine the two.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa   jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"American boys should not be seen dying on the nightly news. Wars should be
over in three days or less, or before Congress invokes the War Powers
Resolution. Victory must be assured in advance. And the American public
must be all for it from the outset." -- Evan Thomas