[Sca-cooks] my easter dinner

Darren Gasser kaos at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 21 15:21:14 PDT 2003

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net wrote:
> - Cormarye (a little overcooked, which was odd-- the pork roast was
> only 150 degrees when I took it out of the oven and went up to 165
> while it was sitting out-- can anyone explain?)

A roast of any size will always have a fair bit of carryover cooking after
it is removed from the heat source.  15 degrees is not at all unusual for a
large roast such as a whole turkey or pork shoulder which has been cooked at
moderate oven temps.  The shape of the roast and the temperature at which
you roast it factor into just how much carryover you'll see.

Generally I will roast large hunks of meat at low (250-300F) temperature
until the internal temperature is 10 degrees short of where I want it, then
rest it while heating the oven to 475-500F for final crusting/glazing.  I've
also become a convert to the school of brining meats which are prone to
drying out like white poultry meat and pork -- this is cheap insurance
against slight overcooking and yet another opportunity to add flavor.

-Lorenz