[Sca-cooks] Hot Peppers

KazOShea at aol.com KazOShea at aol.com
Mon Apr 21 20:44:42 PDT 2003

In a message dated 4/21/2003 11:58:27 AM Central Standard Time,
lilinah at earthlink.net writes:

> >There is cinnamon and saffron. I had made an eye melting but tasty chili in
> >the past and what had pumped up the heat a lot were the two cinnamon
> sticks
> >that I had tossed into the mix.
>
> Huh? How can two sticks of cinnamon make a dish hot? Spicy? Yes. Pedas? No.

I never did say that they in and of themselves made the dish hot. I had said,
if you will note, that it pumped up the heat alot. It was a chemical reaction
with the other ingredients. Myself and two friends had partaken of this chili
and it caused two nosebleeds. The heat from it was searing very similar to
that cause by really good chinese mustard or a nice ball of wasabi. After
making the second batch I noticed that the teflon coated wok I was using was
pitted. Wasn't there before the making.
Cinnnamon flavoring can be incredibly hot. Ever have a Ferrara Pan Atomic
fireball ? They are flavored with cinnamon.

> And saffron? Fragrant (i adore saffron), but not hot.
>
> I guess your taste buds find things to be hot (pedas) a more easily than
> mine.
>
> >Iago
> >"if it don't make you sweat it's not hot enough yet"
>
> Cinnamon, coriander, cumin, galangal, and saffron just aren't gonna
> make me sweat. They are not hot (pedas). They just add flavor. Heat -
> now that can come from masses of raw garlic, lots of ginger (fresh or
> dried but not stale), various peppers, various capsica, a few other
> spices like andalimon/Szechuan pepper/their relatives, grains of
> paradise (aren't those somehow related to cardamom?).
>
> Anahita
> who is much more of a "heat" wimp than she used to be, but still ain't no
> wimp
>
> And buzzed from *decaf*!!!

I do mildly resent the automatic assumption that I have rather timid tastes.
I could tell you some of the things that I eat, and well, that would mean
absolutely nothing.  I could go on some little chest thumping rant about how
I can eat more diablo peppers than you , but again that would mean absolutely
nothing at all. The people that know me know what I can do in cookery, those
that have eaten the feasts I have made and complimented or had a critique
know what I can do, those that have asked for my aid in planning feasts or
aid in the kitchens know what I can do. Those people matter.

You do not know me. You have not eaten food I have made.
I do not think I need to finish the rest.

Iago.