[Sca-cooks] Hot Peppers

margali mtraber251 at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 22 06:20:57 PDT 2003

Ummm  2 things.

imprimis, you may be misunderstanding terms.

Many people consider spicy/pungent/*ultra-flavorful because of spicing*
HOT. Not all heat is capsicum in origin.

secundus, cinnamon IS hot. in the chemical burn your mouth way that
capsicum is. to whit - atomic fireballs candy is hot by everybodies
definition, and it is heatened with cinnamon oil.

Having dealt with flavor profile designers at US fodservices, i learned
way more about commercialy prepared food products than i ever wanted;-)

There are a number of foods that cause chemical burns with their
constituent chemicals, and yes ginger is also one of them. In a
concentration like that sauce as described [the wasabi lke heat of the
ginger sauce] is trading on a couple of things. LOTS of ginger in
proportion to the rest of the sauce, and acetic acid [vinegar] to help
extract the flavor volatiles...

margali