[Sca-cooks] Hot Peppers

Darren Gasser kaos at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 22 11:38:16 PDT 2003

El Hermoso Dormido wrote:
> Mustard/Radish (and, I'm pretty sure but haven't been able to
> confirm, Ginger) get their heat from a class of sulfur-containing
> compounds called "isothiocyanates".

Ginger contains (drum roll, please) gingerol as its primary trigeminal
affectant, not isothiscyanates.  Gingerol is yet another phenolic ketone,
not a sulphur compound.

> Cinnamon/Cassia, I believe, get their "heat" from phenolic
> compounds (Eugenol, the distinctive "clove oil" chemical, is also a
> constituent of cinnamon/cassia oil, as I recall).  These are the
> chemicals that leave a sort of minty/menthol "cooling" feel along
> with the "burn".

Yes and no.  Eugenol does affect the trigeminal cells, but in most people it
creates the menthol-like "cool" sensation, not heat.  If cinnamon or cassia
is concentrated enough to "burn," it's probably due to the oxidant effects
of a different phenol (cinnamic aldehyde) sensitizing epithelial cells, not
a trigeminal reaction.

> Methyl Salicylate (wintergreen/Birch flavor/scent) isn't quite the
> same sort of chemical, as I recall, but is somewhat similar.

I'll have to do some more research, but I'm not sure methyl salicylate is a
trigeminal irritant.  It is an epithelial counter-irritant like capsaicin,
though, so it may very well be.

-Lorenz