[Sca-cooks] Hot Peppers

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Tue Apr 22 12:37:48 PDT 2003

> So can, I suspect, oleoresin of paprika (now there's an oddity: I
> assume it's a capsicum derivative, but it tastes to me like anise,
> and is used as an artificial "chili" flavoring in things like
> low-quality pepperoni). However, the inherent heat of essential oils
> doesn't necessarily reflect the inherent heat of their source used as
> a spice. IOW, the fact that essential oil of cinnamon can burn skin
> (and I think we need to define "burn", too; some authorities claim
> that what chilis do to skin is not, strictly speaking, caustic, let
> alone incendiary) doesn't mean it qualifies as a "hot" spice. How
> much would you have to use before it produced the effect of the
> essential oil in quantity? (Rhetorical question...)

Hey, since I don't really care for capisciums one way or the other (except
a little bit in homemade salsa) I don't give a pink gerbil either way. :)

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa   jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"American boys should not be seen dying on the nightly news. Wars should be
over in three days or less, or before Congress invokes the War Powers
Resolution. Victory must be assured in advance. And the American public
must be all for it from the outset." -- Evan Thomas