[Sca-cooks] period "hot" chocolate

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Apr 23 22:39:49 PDT 2003

Bonne replied to me with:
> I got a Williams-Sonoma catalog in the mail today:
> they are now selling a chocolate pot, or chocolatiere.
>   Ceramic, with wooden handle on the side and a wooden
> plunger through the lid for mixing and foaming the
> chocolate.  Just the thing for the very late period
> Spanish lady to have.
Pardon me if this sounds harsh. But why do you think this resembles
anything a late period Spanish lady would have? Pictures? descriptions?
What concerns me is that I thought these modern chocolate melting pots
were for modern milk or other chocolates. A melted chocolate, but
really one in a solid form that returns to that form when it cools off.
I thought this solidified chocolate was an 18th? 19th? century
invention. Or is this something else than the tempering pots we
discussed a while back?
Would this chocolate pot work with the 16th century type of chocolate?
Would it be needed?
Anyone done any of these early chocolates from the period recipes? Will
they foam?
Stefan

> --- Stefan li Rous <StefanliRous at austin.rr.com> wrote:
> > are a number of recipes and associated documentation.
> >
> > chocolate-msg     (65K)  6/25/02    History and
> > description of early chocolate.
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com