[Sca-cooks] period "hot" chocolate

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu Apr 24 09:11:13 PDT 2003

Pictures you want pictures---

Ok I spent some time doing an
image search on this just to see what can be found:

The chocolate pot under discussion is made
by Pillivuyt of France.
You can find it at Williams-Sonoma or
here is a larger picture at:
http://www.welltemperedkitchen.com/louisxvichoc.html

W-S is cheaper.  This is a Louis XVIII which would
make it the 19th century design.
-----------------
A Molinillo and chocolate pot can be seen
in the 1652 still-life
Still Life with an Ebony Chest
Pereda, Antonio de.

I will put that info in a different posting.
-------------
http://www.chocomusee.com/acquerir_eng.html
also sells them.
They sell one for 129,95$ which if quoted
in Canadian dollars would be cheaper than the
Williams-S one. And they sell an earlier one
than the Louis XVIIIth one.
-------------------
http://fantes.com/chocolate.htm#pot
carries one that is cheaper of a simpler design.
  Porcelain  Chocolate Pot With Molinillo
$49.95
---------------------
http://www.chocolate-artistry.com/recipes.php
Elaine González shares her
CHOCOLATE RECIPES for the drink
and discusses it.
--------------------------
Lastly you may get a kick out of this
site-----If you go to
http://floridafrontier.com/

and click on the 16th Century kitchen.
The next screen in that series will take you
to the following---- described as:
Above is a chocolate pot
  and a wooden frother called a molinillo.

Hope this helps.

Johnnae llyn Lewis   Johnna Holloway