[Sca-cooks] ELIZABETHAN KITCHEN

Daniel Myers doc at medievalcookery.com
Thu Apr 24 07:00:37 PDT 2003

 From what I remember of my Anthro classes in undergrad, if you set the
genetic components aside (which have been relatively constant across
recorded history) hight is most influenced by protein consumption.  One
of my Profs made note of some Asian families that immigrated to the US.
  While most people in these stereotypical families were under 5', the
children raised in the US with its diet rich in meat were often up to a
foot taller than their parents.

It's difficult to find reliable information about the average human
height in period, but with the above in mind it is easy to imagine that
there may have been places and times where the average height was
substantially shorter than the current average, and other times when it
was closer to what we consider normal today.