[Sca-cooks] ELIZABETHAN KITCHEN

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Thu Apr 24 02:53:29 PDT 2003

Although there are a great many variables, I think a better case can be made
for a steadily improving and varied diet (based on economic factors) between
the 14th and 16th Centuries improving the general health followed by an
economically induced decline (general inflation followed by
industrialization) and large scale warfare in the Early Modern period which
continued until the dietary costs were reduced by reducing the costs of
production and transportation in the 20th Century.  Braudel provides the
easiest source for this argument and his bibliography provides more detailed