[Sca-cooks] Apprentice? was Chickpeas, was Duh

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 1 00:56:40 PDT 2003

Thanks for the good and sincere vibes from several listees.

I hope i didn't make The West sound bad. It really isn't. There are
no doubt Laurels here who would have me, but, as i said, i don't know
who... The whole Apprentice/Protege thing is not as strong a
tradition here as it is in other areas. Of course, we do have
*masses* of Squires...

I gather that to become an Apprentice, one has to go up to a Laurel
and ask if they'd be willing to take one on. I am on speaking terms
with quite a few Laurels, but, well, i'm kinda shy to ask, although i
can be rather assertive in other ways.

Second, i don't want to be known for food alone. There's nothing
wrong with having this as a primary skill, but i'm one of those
people who likes doing all sorts of stuff, and i'm trying to become
somewhat well-rounded in Near Eastern cultural stuff.

I do a lot of costume research, although i haven't got my garb as
refined as my research. Since most of our events are camping events,
well, i just don't have much call to wear several layers of silk out
among the foxtails and star thistles. I managed to make a prototype
16th c. Persian outfit late last fall (out of silky but sleazy
inexpensive synthetics), and a prototype 16th c. Ottoman outfit the
week before Twelfth Night (some good fabric there - silk salwar and
cotton lawn gomlek). I need to make new versions of each outfit in
better cloth. Since i've been losing weight, the Ottoman support
garment (a fitted under jacket) is not so fitted anymore, so i may
wait to work that out after i've lost more weight. But i should make
another Persian, since those garments are not so fitted and i've
been, uh, collecting appropriate fabrics.

I did manage to win an A&S competition this past weekend - it was
only the second one i'd ever entered, and stressing over the project
was giving me sleepless nights for almost a month before. It was for
"Knitting, Nalbinding, or Sprang". The competition was fierce - a
friend of mine had entered a beautiful Sion pouch (tiny knitting in
fine silk) and a nalbinded Egypto-Roman split toe sock. I made a pair
of Mamluk period Egyptian child's socks, but with the feet 2 inches
longer than the originals so they'd fit me. They were unusual in that
they had animals and trees on them - most are either abstract or have
bands that say "Allah" over and over. I want to make an Egyptian
sprang hat and a sprang drawstring for my pants "some day".

I also do some illuminations, concentrating on Near Eastern styles,
for which there is not much call... I have, on one of those endless
lists of "things to do", making illustrations for the stories of
Kalila and Dimna, two sibling jackals, one "good", the other, well,
not so good, sometimes downright mean. Dunno when i'll get around to
it. But i've been doing research...

Gee, i don't mean to sound anti-food... I really enjoy cooking
feasts. In fact, i've got to gear up for the Roman Bardic Feast on
Sept. 6.

Anahita