[Sca-cooks] redactions

Nancy Kiel nancy_kiel at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 31 17:18:36 PDT 2003

I believe the original topic was being marked down in competition for not
including one's own version of a receipt.  My point is that if the original
receipt provides an adequate description of the process, it is unnecessary
to re-write it.  Yes, one should include quantities of ingredients; yes, if
one does something different from the receipt that step should be described.
  But, how does writing a redaction ensure the receipt was followed?  If one
follows the original process, why must a redaction be done?  Why is
documenting the process necessary because different people will interpret
the same receipt differently?  That seems irrelevant, since you are judging
an entry against the receipt, not against how others might make it.  If a
receipt is lacking in instructions, the entrant must include what he has
done, but if all the information is there.... Why is it important to know
how I reached and why I made the choices I did?  Lastly, how would one apply
the above how and why requirements to a performing arts type of entry?  How
could one explain the choice of one rhyme over another?  I suspect my
problem is that I view cooking as an art, and feel that excessive
documentation can make it too much of a science.

Nancy Kiel
nancy_kiel at hotmail.com
Never tease a weasel!
This is very good advice.