[Sca-cooks] redactions

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sun Aug 31 20:45:08 PDT 2003

The original topic was the lack of original recipes in "All the King's
Cooks," which expanded into commentary on adapted recipes versus original
recipes and then into original and adapted recipes in competition.

Can the judges follow the logic of the orriginal recipe?  (I am sometimes of
the opinion that judges can't read and comprehend simple modern English.)

Does the judge interpret the recipe differently from you?  Providing the
logic and process of your recreation can help others accept thet your
interpretation is valid.

The how and the why are part of evaluating the accuracy of a historical
recreation.  The value may vary dependent upon the quality of the sources.

Cooking is an art.  Historical cooking is an exercise in culinary artistry
within the boundaries of historical research; haiku as oppsed to free verse.
The form is as critical as the artistry.

Bear