[Sca-cooks] Gourmet Terminology - Recipes and more from Chef Mom.com

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 2 13:31:58 PDT 2003

From: "Jeanne" <jeanne at atasteofcreole.com>
>Here's an interesting site:
>  http://chefmom.myria.com/articles/gourmetterms.htm
>
>They say it's mostly New Orleanian, but for the life of me some I've never
>heard of!  *sigh*
>
>Soffya

Actually, they do NOT say it's mostly New Orleanian. They say the
list came from an article in "New Orleans Gourmet Magazine".

And, as you noticed, many of the words are not New Orleans specific.
They are in ?Mixtec?Aztec? (for the cuitlacoche, Japanese, Italian,
Spanish, and some other things - like "Brick Leaves" which are warqa,
used to wrap "brik" (more or less pronounced "breek"), which is
probably a Maghribi form of borek/boureg.

While i'm aware of French and Spanish influences in New Orleans
cooking, i didn't realize that Maghribi, Italian, and Southeast Asian
influences were so strong ;-p

Anahita