[Sca-cooks] OT:cedar chest question

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sun Aug 3 06:58:00 PDT 2003

I'd be careful with any sandpaper on the exterior finish.  Use it only if
you plane to refinish.  Cedar closets and cedar chests are left with a
sanded but raw interior to allow the cedar oils to enter the air, which is
why a little fine sanding and cedar oil works.

Different finishes will require different handling.  Polyurethane is about
the easiest.  Mild soap and water and a soft nylon pot scrubber will often
remove crusted dirt.  Varnishes and shellac require more delicate handling.

Bear