[Sca-cooks] Fungi

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius at verizon.net
Mon Aug 4 05:34:19 PDT 2003

Also sprach Robin Carroll-Mann:
>If I wanted to makes a truffle dish (and did not want to take out a second
>mortgage), would it be reasonable to use mushrooms flavored with some
>truffle oil?  If so, what kind of mushrooms would work best?

That's a toughie. While it's true that the best-known Perigord black
or Piedmontese or Umbrian white truffles are quite expensive, they're
not the only truffles eaten in human history, very possibly not what
the writers of some period truffle recipes intended to be used, and
not the only truffle options available to the American truffle
enthusiast. That said, though, commercially available American
truffles (like the white ones from Oregon, say) seemed to have a
brief day in the sun, and are now much harder to find than they had
been even a few years ago (drought conditions?). It would be cool to
experiment with those, but at the moment it seems like the only
option for the non-wealthy is to hunt them yourself, which opens up a
whole different set of problems.

So. Mushrooms. They're somewhat different in both flavor and texture
from truffles, even though they're related fungi. Truffles are
supposed, when in good shape, to be quite firm, firm enough to be
grated like parmigiano-reggiano cheese, say, or a lightly cooked
carrot. The flavor difference I can't easily describe except to say
there is one. The only truffles I've eaten in a form and quantity
where you could easily pick out the truffle flavor, have been white
ones, and those have been nutty-sweet, slightly tangy in a way I
associate with turnips or raw mushrooms, and with a very slight
garlic or even asafeotida undertone, in addition to a deep richness.

I think maybe the kind of richness and flavor a truffle has is going
to be hard to find in a mushroom without a rather aggressive flavor
of its own, if you know what I mean, so substituting something close
is going to be more like substituting mushrooms-and-truffles for
truffles.

I think maybe fresh shiitakes might be your best bet, or fresh
cep/porcinis, with truffle oil. You need something firm and rich, but
not powerfully mushroomy, so something like morels I wouldn't
recommend.

Maybe you could share your recipe, and we could get a better idea of
how best to substitute.

Once upon a time, I worked for a chef who used to begin every dinner
service with a fresh bottle of white truffle oil, and it was part of
my job to be sure he had a fresh, full, just-opened bottle every day
at around 5:30 PM. And every evening he would use maybe 2/3 to 3/4 of
it. When I asked him what I should do with the previous day's bottle,
he never clearly stated that I should throw it out, he always just
said, "Get rid of it and get me a fresh bottle." [This was Mark May,
of the deadly venison civey, who went on to open a restaurant called
May Oui, and soon thereafter vanished from the Earth, a broken man.]

So I would dispose of the 6-ounce bottle in the nearest receptacle I
deemed appropriate for the job: my pants pocket. It turns out truffle
oil is _really_ good injected into the meat of a raw turkey before
roasting...

Adamantius