[Sca-cooks] Mark May WAS Fungi

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius at verizon.net
Mon Aug 4 18:33:16 PDT 2003

Also sprach kattratt:
>Sounds like he is a great chef but a crappy business owner.  I have
>seen this before.
>Nichola

Maybe the most charitable, and also accurate, evaluation would be to
say he is/was unrealistic. He's fairly talented, inspired in me a way
of looking at things in new ways, taught me to clean wild mushrooms
and a bunch of useful stuff, but he was also too caught up in some
pretentious nonsense like a Nicoise variation on the game of bocce,
and ignored the fact that the skate he insisted on having on the
menu, and using in the bouillabaise to further justify its purchase,
stank up the joint.

In a way, a bit like Bobby Flay: like an actor playing the part of a
chef, and with enough skills to pass from a distance, but with some
shocking holes in his experience, skillset, and education.

Probably nothing wrong with the man that not growing up a priveleged
brat wouldn't fix... ;-)

Adamantius