[Sca-cooks] OT: Was Judge Crater, now Goon Show

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 5 08:03:35 PDT 2003

--- "Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius"
<adamantius at verizon.net> wrote:
> Also sprach Huette von Ahrens:
> >"Aye, Laddie!  Assemble the troups!  North to
> >England!"
> >"Um ... sir ... England is south ..."
> >"We are going to go around the world and sneak
> up
> >on them from behind while they aren't
> looking!"
>
> My grandfather would routinely respond to
> questions on the street of
> a "Is this the right way to such-and-such?"
> [say, the Brooklyn
> Academy of Music] nature, with, "Yes."
>
> "How far is it?"
>
> "Oh, I'd say just a hair under 24,000 miles..."
>
> Adamantius

Well I was badly paraphrasing a wonderful routine
from the Goon Shows, called "The MacReekie Rising
of '74". It was first aired on 10-25-56.  In the
routine, Our Hero, Neddy Seagoon, has stolen the
most prized possession of the Clan MacReekie, the
Hairy Caber.  Since it is such a large item,
Neddy hides it in the Tower of London.  When the
MacReekies discover their prized possession is
gone, they decide to invade England.  And that is
what they proceed to do, laying siege to the
Tower.
However, knowing that the Tower will stand as
long as there are ravens nesting in the Tower,
they decide to demoralize the English troops
instead ... by shooting cannon balls at them
filled with oatmeal porridge.  The English in
return shoot back cannon balls filled with
something also lacking in taste and nutrition,
Brown Windsor Soup.  When the English notice that
all the MacReekie kilts are becoming badly
stained with the soup, they send Private
Bluebottle out to pretend to be a dry cleaner and
steal all the kilts so the Scots won't continue
the siege.  But dim-witted Bluebottle actually
dry cleans all the kilts and returns them the
next day.  Eventually, the English give up the
Hairy Caber, when it is noticed that all the
ravens have gone and one of the characters is
walking about singing, "Sing a song of sixpence
..."

Huette

=====
shall never cease to be amused.