[Sca-cooks] OP food question

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius at verizon.net
Wed Aug 6 03:05:34 PDT 2003

Also sprach AEllin Olafs dotter:
>Thank you all!
>
>Yes, I think it is a dim sum sort of thing. I won't be making it,
>I'll be stopping on Canal Street to get it, but thanks for the
>recipes - I'll pass them on to him. (He's the one cooks Chinese
>food, after a long relationship with a Chinese American woman. Her
>mother, having given up on her, taught him to cook... )
>
>Cantonese Hielands sounds about right - the lady in question always
>told him that her family were all hicks, from the boonies... *G*
>She said no "educated" person could understand the dialect. Guess
>every culture has a backwoods subculture.

Or every culture needs another to look down on, to make their own
situation seem better ;-). In some Chinese language school my wife
was forced to attend in her adolescent years, upon having it
impressed upon her that the dialect of her ancestors was not
considered a valid language by mainstream Cantonese speakers, she was
put in detention for loudly commenting that neither Burns nor Kipling
were valid poets...

Adamantius