[Sca-cooks] A & S question

WyteRayven at aol.com WyteRayven at aol.com
Thu Aug 7 12:40:26 PDT 2003

In a message dated 8/7/2003 2:53:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time, lilinah at earthlink.net writes:

> I can't help AEllin, but i thought i'd add my thoughts to the conversation...
>
> It appears to me that there are vast differences among kingdoms.
> Things have been rather sleepy A&S-wise where i am, both the
> Principality (Mists) and the Kingdom (West).
>
> We have people around doing stuff and some even good stuff. But
> people don't seem to enter A&S competitions much. I don't care for
> 'em myself - heck, i lost a lot of sleep for 3 weeks before the one i
> entered 2 weekends ago. On top of that, i am the Arts Minister for
> The Principality of the Mists. Puts me in something of a quandary.

Personally, I like competitions. I like getting the feedback from the judges. I dont enter A&S competitions much because they havent had competitions involving things that I am terribly interested in. I believe this coronet has one that I am interested in. I think it is medieval remedies. If I can get my butt in gear, I would like to enter that one. Usually if I enter any competition it is brewing, again it is mostly for the feedback, as I am probably the least competitive person I know, but it does give me an opportunity to see how I am doing.

<smip>
> COMPETITIONS
> We have inherited pre-planned competitions in our first year in
> office - now half over. We're considering doing away with them,
> however, in our second year.

I would be very sad to see that happen. I may not always enter them, but I do like having the option. I am less inclined to do something for a demonstration. I like the impartiality of someone being able to critique what I have done without me standing there. I can always go to them later if I have questions, but if I am standing there I feel that they would be more apt to temporize what they were going to say.

> We have made a change in the
> competitions: Previously if there were not a minimum of three
> entries, the competition didn't happen. Now we are judging all
> entries, even if there are only one or two (if only one, it must get
> a minimum of 2/3 of all possible points or there's no winner), which

I think this is an excellent idea!

<big snip>

> Anahita

Ilia