[Sca-cooks] A & S question

Cathy Harding charding at nwlink.com
Thu Aug 7 21:54:22 PDT 2003

Here in An Tir we used to have the erroneously named Laurels' Prize Tourney.
It was not a tourney, nor were prizes given not were laurels only permitted
to enter.

It was intended to be a venue where you could see cool things being
produced, (often works in progress as well as completed projects) or have
your things seen and get feedback.  It wasn't always very successful.

In the past few years we have gotten away from the title.  The concept has
expanded, and by the way is now called a Fred (the fighters have Eric....)
don't ask me, I think it was countess Elizabeth who started that one.

A typical Fred (if you can call it that) has lots of people showing what
they are doing, there are little hand bound books given to each participant
for comments.  Participants can be there or not.  At a recent one, there was
a calligraphy project, linen weaving, food, tablet weaving, armor making,
wood block carving, dyeing, spinning, painting on silk, several costuning
items, ruff making, box making, and I am sure a bunch of other tihngs.  This
was at a regional camping/war event, they happen at crown events as well as
local (at least where the branch is fairly sizable) ones.  The skill range
is broad, laurels show things, everyone can comment either by talking or
writing in the books.

maeve
Barony of Glymm Mere
An Tir