[Sca-cooks] polenta

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sun Aug 10 21:01:33 PDT 2003

The grain of choice during the Republic was barley and polenta was staple
fare in most people's diets, rich or poor.  While it was common fare in the
legions, several writers from the Empire lamented the decline of the rustic
simplicity and strength of the Republic including the reduced demand for the
hearty goodness of polenta.

Apicius provides a recipe for sliced and fried fine wheat polenta served
with honey.  A dish designed for gustatorial pleasure rather than rustic
simplicity.

Bear