[Sca-cooks] UHH-OH!

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 11 07:44:27 PDT 2003

<singing Sumer Is A Cumin Seed...>
Wow.  That's a toughie.
Cumin is such a fundamental flavor in this cuisine.
Fennel and Caraway seeds are close
botanically but not gustatorily.
Turmeric?  Fenugreek?  Nigella?
That last is often called "Black Caraway"
but is not actually related,
and appears in the same region.
I first encountered Nigella seeds
studded in real Armenian string cheese.
Lovely flavor, now I need to go get some.
Any road, at least they told you now
and not the night before.
Run a test batch of each affected dish,
omitting the cumin, then see what they "need" from there.

If a dish really, really won't work without the cumin,
put it in and issue the usual allergen warning.
Surely the lady would be gracious enough
to let everyone else enjoy a dish as it should be served?

Hoping your feast is brilliant
and nobody misses what they didn't know
was supposed to be in there,

Selene Colfox