[Sca-cooks] Blood donors

Kirsten Houseknecht kirsten at fabricdragon.com
Thu Aug 14 15:37:00 PDT 2003

as a needle phobic. (yeah, since i was a kid)
it is always a major stressor when i donate... you wouldnt think i could do
pheresis at all, but i got my gallon pin that way.

the problem is. i was on deferral for some time owing to medical (rabies
shots anyone?) and the longer you dont donate the harder it is to go back...
phobia issues, you know.. so i am going in this sunday to donate whole blood
(which i despise....i feel sick all day)
unless they can set up an appt for pheresis... at least partly to get back
in the swing of things for a potential marrow donation.

anyway, do remember.. you can be a BIG help to a nervous or fearful donor by
accompanying them to the donation center. just ask first HOW to be good
company
some folks like teasing or joking. some do NOT. and it makes a difference
when you are scared
(me? i love joking around, but not when i am having shaking fits and
threatening to throw up from terror... then i want people to keep my mind
completely off the subject. talk to me about flowers, sports, television..
food... whatever)
Kirsten Houseknecht
Fabric Dragon
kirsten at fabricdragon.com
www.fabricdragon.com
Philadelphia, PA     USA
Trims, Amber, Jet, Jewelry, and more...

I worry about you, wear a reflective sweater...