[Sca-cooks] Re: Blood donors

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 14 21:20:49 PDT 2003

My lord husband and I got in the habit of donating blood to Cedars-Sinai
Medical Center in Los Angeles when my mother went in for lung cancer
surgery.  [She's fine, good lord willing she'll outlive us all.]  After
all, we knew where our own personal blood had been! We kept going back
whenever the blood center phoned.  Cushy couches, real juice and
cookies, cable TV, just like an evening at home except for this little
needle thing.  They give movie tickets too, double for pheresis.

I like to encourage "anachronists" to donate by citing the ancient
practice of sacrifice, the shedding of blood so that the community might
live.  In these modern times, one can reasonable expect to survive and
repeat the experience!  Some Star Trek clubs have "Klingon Blood Feuds"
where the club that donates the most blood wins bragging rights.

Selene Colfox
selene at earthlink.net