[Sca-cooks] Nursing and drugs was-Re: Blood donors

Tara Sersen Boroson tara at kolaviv.com
Fri Aug 15 06:29:20 PDT 2003

Mothering magazine (in my mind, the *only* parenting magazine worth
reading,) did an article on different drugs and breastfeeding a few
months ago.  One of the important points it made was that different
substances concentrate in different ways in breastmilk, because
breastmilk is primarily fat.  Some things will end up in breastmilk in
higher concentrations than in your blood, other things will be barely
detectable.  For instance, with alcohol, your BAL needs to be something
like 0.3 before it starts to have a physiological effect on the baby.
 Personally, I'd be under the table by then.  I haven't drinken like
*that* since college.  A greater effect of alcohol is to diminish milk
supply for an hour or so after drinking.  Personally, I was always an
absolute fountain, so I never saw a difference.  I could spring a leak
in the middle of a glass of beer no less than at any other time.  On the
other hand, as I recall (I lent out the issue, so I can't reference it,)
cold and sinus medicine concentrates very much and has a big effect on
the baby.  For that reason, I have avoided these since my daughter,
Talia, was born.  On the occasion that a sinus headache was keeping me
from sleeping (twice in 17 months now, I think,) I waited until she was
asleep to take a half-dose of medicine.

As for other things crossing into breastmilk, Talia had problems with
milk, broccoli/cabbage/cauliflower and asparagus in my diet.  All
sensitivities started at about three weeks old, with severe stomach pain
and hours of screaming every night.  The milk sensitivity went away at
about three or four months, the veggie sensitivity lasted until
something like eleven months.  She was sensitive enough that I couldn't
eat a cookie that had a bit of butter in it.  I was truely on a CF diet.
 No problems with spices or garlic or anything like that - in fact, she
now loves Indian, Thai and Mexican food.

By the way, Hi!  I'm back!  I had to bail because of e-mail overload a
while back, but I've decided to give it a whirl again.  I missed you guys :)

-Magdalena vander Brugghe