[Sca-cooks] Re: Blood donors

Tara Sersen Boroson tara at kolaviv.com
Sat Aug 16 08:52:10 PDT 2003

Even Epogen doesn't work that fast.  When you're talking about someone
who could be dead within minutes, you don't have time to wait days for
Epogen to stimulate red blood cell production.  I'm sorry, but I agree
with Avaraham on this one.  While it may be true that sometimes blood
products are used because they're convenient despite the fact that
they're not the only option available, there is no doubt that there
are times when they are critical.  There is a world of difference
between encouraging people not to accept blood products when there are
suitable alternatives, and encouraging people not to donate blood in
the first place.  The former is probably better for many people, and
will help preserve our blood supply for those instances when it is
critical and irreplacable; The later is dooming a lot of people to
death.  Someone who is in a car accident and is brought into the
hospital bleeding profusely will simply be dead without an
introduction of blood.  They won't be kind of dead until the Epogen
has a few days to do it's thing.  They will be dead, empty of blood,
kaput, drained.

Please, Soffya, stop telling people not to donate.  You're not helping
anybody.

I was really trying to stay out of this conversation, but this recent
turn has me too disturbed.  I give blood every eight weeks at Miller
Memorial Blood Center in Bethlehem, PA, and want to slap people who
say "Oh, I could, but it's inconvenient or icky or it hurts"

-Magdalena

> Then it would be Epogen.  One of them is a red blood cell enhancer.
I did