[Sca-cooks] OT: food, and medical plus part two

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius at verizon.net
Wed Aug 13 15:04:23 PDT 2003

Also sprach Kirsten Houseknecht:
>well, if they had *real* orange juice i would take that.  given that they
>have this horrid concentrate stuff i usually got water or apple juice.
>
>now that i am on Atkins i suppose i should take a meal bar, as pretzels and
>juice would send my blood sugar out of whack.

I'm reminded of an incident of a couple of years ago; apparently the
New York City branches of the American Red Cross used to provide a
particular cookie called Nutter Butters; these were peanut-butter
cookies shaped like peanuts in the shell, with peanut butter
sandwiched between them. I _think_ Nabisco made these, and upon their
announcement that they would cease manufacture of Nutter Butter
cookies within a few months of the announcement, an immediate drop in
blood donations resulted. People specifically stated that they did
for the cookies.

IIRC, Nabisco either finally relented and decided to keep making the
cookies, or they shipped several warehouses full to the New York
blood drive people, enough for a couple of years. Anyway, the
immediate threat to the blood drive was eliminated...

I also seem to recall that a rare Porterhouse steak did wonders for
perking up my blood-deprived system, the last time I donated ;-)

Adamantius, also no longer allowed to donate blood, but for different
reasons from 'Lainie's