[Sca-cooks] Haaaalp!

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 18 17:47:52 PDT 2003

How washable are the two items?

I have garb that I trimmed the hem of with fake
fur, about 7" wide of fake fur on a dress with a
200" long hem. One event was full of fox tails
and burrs and who knows what else.  And I think
that I collected every loose fox tail, burr and
seed pod within the entire park.  I first
vacuumed the fur.
I then ran the dress through the wash on its own
through the regular cycle to wash out whatever
was semi-loose.  I also ran the washer through
the cycle without any clothes, so as to
thoroughly rinse out any burr left in the washer.
 I then took a doggy brush and brushed the fur
and removed even more burrs.  Finally,
inch-by-inch, I hand picked all that was left in
the fur.  This took days to do, but I think that
I got everything.  Of course, the fur still is a
burr magnet and I have to do this on a regular
basis.  Sigh.

Huette
--- "Laura C. Minnick" <lcm at efn.org> wrote:
> Ok, I was looking for something specific, so I
> was rummaging pretty deeply
> in the stratum here in my room (think I found
> Jimmy Hoffa!) and can across
> two plastic sacks, one with a gown I'd been
> missing, and one with a blanket
> I'd been missing. And when I pulled them out, I
> found out why!
>
> They were covered with burrs! The little ones,
> about the size of caraway
> seeds, but fuzzy all over. And they are all
> over both the dress and the
> blanket- worked into the fabric quite tightly.
>
> I could sit down and pick them out one by one,
> but A) they aren't that easy
> to get out, B) there are THOUSANDS of them, and
> C) the dress ia a
> lightweight challis, with a very detailed
> print. *Finding* all of those
> little buggers is... well you can imagine.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions for getting
> those nasty things out?
> Neither of these are pieces I want to just
> dump, but that is about where my
> frustration level is with them. And putting
> them aside for three years (I
> now remember the last time I wore that gown)
> does not solve the problem.
>
> Ideas? Please?
>
> 'Lainie

=====