[Sca-cooks] Mustards

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Wed Aug 20 06:50:23 PDT 2003

> I'd like to try some other fruit mustards.  Does anyone have any recipes or
> thoughts before I go wildly experimenting on:
>
> Fig Mustard
> Plum Mustard (or maybe prune mustard would be better)
> Cherry Mustard
> An Orange Marmelade sort of mustard
> Olive mustard

Hm... I would try prunes and dried cherries rather than fresh plums and
cherries, they work really well. What about combining mustard with the
prune sauce that we already have from period?

Some fruit mustards:

with grapes:
De Nola:
155. Another Very Good French Mustard Which Lasts All Year-- OTRA
MOSTAZA FRANCESA MUY BUENA Y DURA TODO EL AÑO

Take a caldron which will hold two cantaros, and fill it with red grapes
and set it to cook upon the fire until it is reduced by half and there
remains half a caldron  which is one cantaro; and when the grapes are
cooked, remove the scum with a wooden   spoon; and stir it now and then
with a stick; and strain this must through a clean cloth and cast it into
a cantaro; and then cast in the mustard, which should be up to a dishful
well-ground, little by little, stirring it with the stick. And each day
you should stir with it, four or five times a day; and if you wish, you
can  grind with the mustard three parts cinnamon, two parts cloves, and
one part ginger. This French mustard is very good and lasts all year and
is mulberry-colored.

Two mustards with dried fruit from Platina:

Red Mustard sauce: Grind in mortar or mill, either separately or all
together, mustard, raisins, dates, toasted bread, and a little cinnamon.
When it is ground, soak with verjuice or vinegar and a bit of must, and
pass through a sieve into serving dishes. This heats less than the one
above and stimulates the thirst but does not nourish badly.

Mustard sauce in bits: Mix mustard and well-pounded raisins, a little
cinnamon and cloves, and make little balls or bits from this mixture. When
they have dried on a board, carry them with you wherever you want. When
there is a need, soak in verjuice or vinegar or must. This differs little
in nature from those above.

-- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"This heavenly city, then, while it sojourns on earth, calls citizens
out of all nations, and gathers together a society of pilgrims of all
languages, not scrupling about diversities in manners, laws, and
institutions whereby earthly peace is secured and maintained, but
recognizing that, however various these are, they all tend to one and
the same end of earthly peace." -- St.  Augustine of Hippo