[Sca-cooks] Quinces

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 20 12:21:30 PDT 2003

>On Wednesday, August 20, 2003, at 02:17 PM, Melanie Unruh-Bays wrote:
>
>>Imagine my surprise then when I find quinces at the supermarket last
>>night!
>>Yes, they are still somewhat hard, but if I purchase them this weekend
>>(they're $1.99 each, so I need to wait until payday) will they ripen in
>>the
>>space of two weeks? What if I put them in a paper bag with some bananas?
>>Any
>>other suggestions? Having actually found them, I really hate to not be
>>able
>>to use them.
>
>I generally recommend power tools for paring quince.  When ripe, they have
>about the same firmness as a billiard ball.
>
>In other words, the ones you've found at the market probably are ripe.
>They will soften up just fine with cooking.  If you do substitute apples or
>pears though, be aware that quince have a lot more pectin and make firmer
>jelly and such, so you may have to reduce the other fruits further to get
>the same results.
>
>Where are you that you are so lucky to have quince in the market?  I'm
>jealous.
>
>- Doc (who's cooked with quince a couple of times and *loves* them - quince
>paste is awfully good too!)

I was thinking it would be easier and cheaper to just go to a latin market
and buy the paste by the block or the jar.  I've used the block.  Cut it
into 1/4 inch slabs, put a slit in the center of the little rectangle and
twisted one end through to make a kind of knot then rolled in sugar to coat
and spread out to dry as much as possible (they never really get hard) and
put out on the dessert board.  Very easy.  Very well recieved.
Olwen