[Sca-cooks] Quinces

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Aug 21 22:02:11 PDT 2003

Eirene asked:
> The problem of course, is the quinces which are not yet in season. I
> have a
> couple of choices - I might be able to substitute pears, or there is
> the
> very similar Apple Jelly Candies, from Libro di cucina, (Italian).
>
> Imagine my surprise then when I find quinces at the supermarket last
> night!
> Yes, they are still somewhat hard, but if I purchase them this weekend
> (they're $1.99 each, so I need to wait until payday) will they ripen
> in the
> space of two weeks? What if I put them in a paper bag with some
> bananas? Any
> other suggestions? Having actually found them, I really hate to not be
> able
> to use them.
It sounds like they are now importing them from the southern
hemisphere. It is rather difficult to find them at all. I have also
seen (and bought) commercial quince pastes. That might be another
possiblity and possibly cheaper. At $2 each this could add up quickly.
But they are expensive even when in season this side of the globe.

Two weeks sounds awlfully quick for the quinces to soften up adequately
but perhaps these files in the FOOD-FRUITS and FOOD-SWEETS section of
the Florilegium might give you more definative information.
fruit-quinces-msg (64K) 12/14/02    Period uses and recipes for quinces.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-FRUITS/fruit-quinces-msg.html
marmalades-msg    (60K)  5/17/02    Period marmalades and fruit jellies
and jams
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/marmalades-msg.html

You might also look at some of the other sweets detailed in the
FOOD-SWEETS section, but many of these are likely to be much later than
the Normans. Also, be aware that until late in period the
Normans/French would likely be making sweets using honey rather than
sugar.
Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas