[Sca-cooks] Quinces

eirenetz at comcast.net eirenetz at comcast.net
Fri Aug 22 09:35:53 PDT 2003

<snip>

> It sounds like they are now importing them from the southern
> hemisphere. It is rather difficult to find them at all. I have also
> seen (and bought) commercial quince pastes. That might be another
> possiblity and possibly cheaper. At $2 each this could add up quickly.
> But they are expensive even when in season this side of the globe.

I have considered the quince pastes. I'd really like to do it from "scratch" though, even if only just this once.

> Two weeks sounds awlfully quick for the quinces to soften up adequately
> but perhaps these files in the FOOD-FRUITS and FOOD-SWEETS section of
> the Florilegium might give you more definative information.
> fruit-quinces-msg (64K) 12/14/02    Period uses and recipes for quinces.
> http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-FRUITS/fruit-quinces-msg.html

This was, of course my first bit of research. :-)

> marmalades-msg    (60K)  5/17/02    Period marmalades and fruit jellies
> and jams
> http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/marmalades-msg.html

I'll check these.

> You might also look at some of the other sweets detailed in the
> FOOD-SWEETS section, but many of these are likely to be much later than
> the Normans. Also, be aware that until late in period the
> Normans/French would likely be making sweets using honey rather than
> sugar.

Indeed, Menagier specifies honey. Choosing to use period recipes means that I probably will be cooking a little later than the head cook. But perhaps they won't be too much removed, in the temporial sense.

Eirene