[Sca-cooks] Some disturbing news about one of the foodmerchants at Pennsic

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Thu Aug 21 04:46:56 PDT 2003

At the end of this message,, I will quote Master Iolo's statement in its
entirety as he requested when he made it- for the moment, I'm going to snip
and paste appropriate bits of his comments. Please understand, I'm not happy
with it either- I met the gentleman for the first time this Pennsic, and
liked him a great deal, but I also understand a bit more than most about how
Cindy and merchanting works.

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> I assume that in the first case you are referring to Cindy booting out
> Master Iolo.
> 1) I, for one, do not consider shooting boffer arrows in the booth to
> be dangerous. The canvas provides plenty of protection.
> 2) He has done this for 10+ years. Why object now? and if you object
> now, why not give a warning since you've never objected previously? Why
> kick someone off in the middle of the event? Why not just ask them not
> to come back again if you don't wish to work with them to solve the
> problem?
> 3) Please quote where this activity is "SPECIFICALLY forbidden" in the
> rules.

A partial quote from Iolo:

> Thursday afternoon, Cindy Cooper Tracy, the merchant autocrat, came to me,
> said I was in violation of pennsic rules for shooting said padded bolts at
> the tent. This is quite true. The rules, at least for the last 10 years or
> so, if taken literally would prohibit such activity.
>
> I offered to cease all such shooting immediately, Cindy replied that she
> would like me to leave.

>From Pennsic site rules, listed on the Pennsic website:

12. Except for expressly sanctioned Youth Combat programs or classes no
minor shall be permitted to participate in combat related activities at
Pennsic 32.

and

14. No martial activities of any kind (including, but not limited to, siege
weapons, boffers, thrown weapons, rapier, archery, armored heavy combat
and/or modern martial arts) shall be permitted outside of the proper,
designated areas.

There is also a specific set of rules posted for the merchants at the
merchant office- I've never had reason to go read them, but they're there if
anyone has any questions.

 Apparently it is also specifically forbidden to post notices on
> the pillars of the barn, even for an event currently in progress.
> During the Florilegium Tile Project I had a Cooper staff guy come
> through and tear down all notices, including the ones I had posted, and
> when I asked what he was doing all I got was it was against the rules.
> I still have no idea just where those rules are posted.

Look in both the website and the Pennsic booklet. Not specificly sure where
this one is, but I seem to remember a section that I can't find now, about
usage of Herald's boards. When in doubt, however, it's always best to clear
whatever it is with a Cooper.

> > I trust Cindy's judgement.

> Why? And judgement for what? Making money? Helping to create an event
> that folks want to come back to?

Because I know her- not well, but well enough to know that she really makes
a serious effort to do what she thinks is right, for the benefit of everyone
at Pennsic. Keep in mind, Stefan, that I've dealt with the entire family
more extensively than most people do, merely in my role as Land Agent and
Camp Master, never mind during an off-season trip to resolve the W10 land
hassle.

> > I have no doubt that it was a very reluctant decision on her part.
> What makes you postulate this?

I've observed her in other circumstances. If you're out front with her,
she'll frequently cut you as much slack as she can. Or, do you think that
allowing forges and the associated fire dangers in the merchant area is a
light decision?

Saint Phlip,
CoD

 Blacksmith's credo.