[Sca-cooks] Some disturbing news about one of the food merchants atPennsic

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Aug 20 22:38:35 PDT 2003

Saint Phlip declared:
> Gunthar, this is not an action Cindy takes lightly. Of the other
> merchants
> I'm aware of who are, or who are going to be, uninvited, one was
> allowing a
> dangerous activity on his premises which is SPECIFICLY forbidden in the
> rules, the other is a thief.
I assume that in the first case you are referring to Cindy booting out
Master Iolo.
1) I, for one, do not consider shooting boffer arrows in the booth to
be dangerous. The canvas provides plenty of protection.
2) He has done this for 10+ years. Why object now? and if you object
now, why not give a warning since you've never objected previously? Why
kick someone off in the middle of the event? Why not just ask them not
to come back again if you don't wish to work with them to solve the
problem?
3) Please quote where this activity is "SPECIFICALLY forbidden" in the
rules. Apparently it is also specifically forbidden to post notices on
the pillars of the barn, even for an event currently in progress.
During the Florilegium Tile Project I had a Cooper staff guy come
through and tear down all notices, including the ones I had posted, and
when I asked what he was doing all I got was it was against the rules.
I still have no idea just where those rules are posted.
> In the case of Phil's Tavern, there were,
> according to my sources, repeated health and rules violations, of
> which the
> owners were repeatedly warned. I suspect we had best let well enough
> alone-
Probably as I don't see that we have much choice.
> I trust Cindy's judgement.
Why? And judgement for what? Making money? Helping to create an event
that folks want to come back to?
> I have no doubt that it was a very reluctant decision on her part.
What makes you postulate this?
I believe Phil's is the place that sells Gyros at Gulf Wars, so at
least I can continue to get one there. I usually get a gyro at GW and
Pennsic at least once, but didn't this last Pennsic.
Stefan
Still trying to figure out whether he will be returning to Pennsic next
year or not.
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com