[Sca-cooks] Some disturbing news about one of thefoodmerchantsatPennsic

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius at verizon.net
Thu Aug 21 11:54:06 PDT 2003

Also sprach Dan Phelps:
>That might be generally so my lady... but I was in full garb and so was
>everyone else.  Hell they were even carrying a huge banner pole complete
>with a 10 foot penant.   He demanded verification of attendance from each
>and everyone and he was not polite about it.  As a side note all the
>offesnsive encounters I recall with this individual were in broad daylight
>and as far as I recall everyone was stone sober... I know I was.

Some of this has already been said, so I'll just throw in an extra
couple of words...

If it _was_ Viscount Edward, he suffers from really terminal
busy-ness at Pennsic, and can appear to be brusque when all he is
doing is requiring the information he needs immediately, with no time
to mess around. Under the circumstances, if he demanded your
credentials, didn't actually call you insulting names, but suspected
you might be a member of the press who had not previously cleared
your presence with the event authorities, he probably _was_ being
pretty polite, compared to some of the possible alternative
behaviors. Let's say, it's conceivable he was as polite as your
average traffic cop, state policeman, or member of our military when
in full duty mode. Which is as polite as is necessary to get the job
done, and no more.

This gentle (and deep down, he is, although some do find him
outspoken at times, like many SCAdians) has given an awful lot of his
time over many years so thousands of his closest friends can have a
good and a safe time; I think he deserves to be cut a little slack at
times.

And if he demanded credentials he was probably just as concerned with
the well-being and insurance coverage of everyone involved, as much
as with the potential for adverse publicity, and as has been said,
garb is no guarantee of membership or good intent.

Adamantius