[Sca-cooks] Some disturbing news about one of the foodmerchants atPennsic

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 21 12:21:41 PDT 2003

>Saint Phlip declared:
>>Gunthar, this is not an action Cindy takes lightly. Of the other merchants
>>I'm aware of who are, or who are going to be, uninvited, one was allowing
>>dangerous activity on his premises which is SPECIFICLY forbidden in the
>>rules, the other is a thief.
>I assume that in the first case you are referring to Cindy booting out
>Master Iolo.
>1) I, for one, do not consider shooting boffer arrows in the booth to be
>dangerous. The canvas provides plenty of protection.
>2) He has done this for 10+ years. Why object now? and if you object now,
>why not give a warning since you've never objected previously? Why kick
>someone off in the middle of the event? Why not just ask them not to come
>back again if you don't wish to work with them to solve the problem?
>Stefan
>Still trying to figure out whether he will be returning to Pennsic next
>year or not.

The "shooting booth" was not inside the sellers tent.  It was simply an
extra flap of canvas attatched to the side of the tent.  It was probably no
more that 4 feet big (and I think I am generous in that), it did not go all
the way to the ground, there was not another side wall to corner fly-aways,
there was no sign on the back side of the tent or "shooting flap" to warn
people coming out of the barn, which, by the way, the back door of the barn
was directly behind the booth.  I watched a boy of about 10 with no adult
supervision shooting a crossbow repeatedly at an X made of electrical tape
which would fall off if hit, the boy repeatedly replaced the X no more than
6 inches from the outer end of the flap.  It is against SCA rules for minors
to shoot crossbows as I understand it from an archery marshal.  To heck with
the Coopers.  The owner was breaking SCA rules of safety.  Apparently Cindy
also saw either this child or another shooting, as I gather from reading
reports on another list.

Sorry if I ruffled feathers.  I was rather alarmed when I saw this boy
shooting but was not able to talk to the shop owner as I was struggling with
an asthma attack and got a ride down to my camp.

Olwen